Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Aquaponics set up

This is a rough markup of my future aquaponic set up. I am going to have a tub that will hold the fish and 2 grow beds. It will be a "Simple Flood and Drain" set up. I have a deep cycle marine battery that will run the system and I plan on buying a pump and some solar panels to maintain the battery so the whole system will be off the grid. As the water falls back into the fish tank just above the surface it will aerate the fish tank so no need to run a air stone 24/7. I plan on documenting this whole setup and posting here. Since my plan is to not have to pay for food after 3 years of being out of the army I want to start playing with different ways to save space and mass produce and this seems to be one of if not the best way to do so. I highly recommend on reading up on Aquaponics if you have not heard of it before. The website posted below is a good source to start at as well as YouTube. Look for this guys videos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYR9s6chrI0 youtube name is "fishandveggies"...Oh yea almost forgot to mention the fish. I have not decided yet on what i want to grow as far as fish goes. but since I am trying to keep this whole project under $50.00 I might just go and catch some blue gills and try to transplant them.

Simple Flood and Drain

This is possibly the most simple method of setting up a flood and drain system. The grow bed sits above the fish tank, water is pumped from the fish tank into the grow bed, then the water drains straight back into the fish tank below. The ultimate in simplicity. If there's a problem with the pump or power supply the water drains straight back into the fish tank. This style of system is compact and has very few disadvantages, the only minor disadvantage is that the water level in the fish tank fluctuates when flooding the beds. Also the pump is in the fish tank so if it's only a small pump with limited solid pumping capacity, solid wastes may clog up the pump, requiring periodic maintenance. taken from http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/information/4-home/aquaponic-information/44-designs.html

2 comments:

  1. Coolness. I'm looking forward to seeing it come together and how it works for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following my blog. I went out yesterday and priced all the stuff I need and I should be able to get it all for my budget on this project. be shure to stop back by as I update!

      Delete